Spring is here in Victoria Park!
Formed in 1997, The Victoria Park Business Revitalization Zone (BRZ) is a not-for-profit association that represents more than 300 merchants and businesses in the community of Victoria Park. Governed by a volunteer Board of Directors, the BRZ works to promote and improve the area, and is an advocate for important community issues.
We’re located in the Beltline just south of the downtown core, with boundaries roughly extending east to west from 6th Street SE and 2nd Street SW, and north to south from the CPR tracks near 10th Avenue to 17th Avenue S.
Membership is automatic for business falling within the BRZ boundaries.
- To maintain our unique heritage while evolving into a world class urban community in which businesses thrive and prosper.
- To become a destination area for Calgarians and Citizens of the World to enjoy.
- Advocate for change and development that creates a high quality urban environment for all.
- Communicate, coordinate and collaborate with key stakeholders and interest groups to affect positive social, environmental and economic development.
- Fulfill our mandate as prescribed by our bylaws:
- Improve, beautify and maintain property in the area;
- Redevelopment of underutilized and/or vacant areas;
- Maintain historical character and assets;
- Promote the BRZ as a business and/or shopping area.
The BRZ receives its funding through a levy applied to business tax assessments within the district. All levies are collected on behalf of the BRZ by The City of Calgary. It is important to note that while the City collects on behalf of the BRZ, the City does not fund BRZs; they are funded solely by contributions from member business owners.
Board of Directors
The Board of Directors is the main decision-making body for the BRZ, acting as thevoice for all businesses in this area. Any rate-paying member of the Victoria Park BRZ can sit on the Board of Directors. Nominations for the Board are received from the membership prior to the Annual General Meeting (held in November of each year) with rate-paying members electing the Board of Directors at the AGM. Directors are elected for a two-year term, serving a maximum of three consecutive terms. A minimum of nine to a maximum of fifteen members are elected to the Board.
The Board of Directors meets monthly, typically at noon on the third Thursday of the month for discussion of the general operations and various issues affecting the area.
For more information about the current Board of Directors, the nomination process, or how to get involved in the Board, please contact us.
Committees of the Board
BRZ members unable to commit to sitting on the Board of Directors but who still wish to have direct input into BRZ operations can still get involved through the Committees of the Board. Committees typically meet less frequently and they deal with more specific issues and projects.
For more information on current committees or on how to join a committee, please contact us.
Please feel free to peruse Victoria Park BRZ’s existing By-Laws (last amendments made in November 2006) located on the left-hand column of this page.